Saturday, April 17th

Chalk up another 8 miles, 4 this morning and 4 in the afternoon. This morning, when we woke up, I didn't think we would be walking at all. It was very dark, raining and cold. But after a while, it stopped raining and the sun came out, so Ruth took me to marker 62 and I started walking east. I passed through Carrizozo at mile 65. We are "east of Carrrizozo" which is a victory in my mind.
 
We started walking east from San Antonio, NM on June 2, 2008 headed for Carrizozo, NM, 64 miles away. 684 days later, we made it. Of course, actual walking days were 9, for an average of approximately 7 miles a day.
 
This afternoon, Ruth walked with me for 2 and a half miles as Carol wasn't feeling too good. We are now at marker 70 and Capitan is 15 miles away, Billy the Kid and Smokey the Bear Country. If John feels better and if it doesn't rain, we may move to Capitan tomorrow. John said he was feeling a smidgen better today and actually got up and walked around outside a bit.
 
Today I found a knife and a spoon (to go with the fork I found yesterday), a toy gun, a fishing bobber and a New Mexico license plate. Stay tuned ...

No comments: