April 19

Yesterday we were going to move to Kaimichi Park, a Corp of Engineer park on Lake Hugo, just east of Hugo. But, on our walk, we discovered Chapparal RV park, between Bennington and Boswell. The lady that ran the park gave up a 50% discount when she discovered we were walking for Habitat for Humanity.
 
Ruth took us out early this morning and in no time we were walking through Bennington. The town of Bennington is not on the highway, so there is not much to say about it.
 
We passed by the Master Works Dulcimer store. Dulcimers out here in Oklahoma, I thought they were an Ozark Mountains instrument. We walked along and saw a big road kill on the shoulder and we both thought it was a raccoon. It turned out to be, of all things, a beaver. I don't believe I have ever seen a beaver road kill. Our next encounter with an animal was of the live variety We saw our first snake on the shoulder of the road. John thought it might be a Copperhead. We gave it plenty of room.
 
As we entered Boswell, we stopped at the first convenience store and started talking to a man named Paul Green. He knew us from the TV interview in Ardmore. We inquired about an RV park and Paul said he would fix us up a place at the local school, water and electricity. Paul is the maintenance man there. We thought that was a very generous offer but after we thought about it for a while, we would not be able to run our AC without 30 amp service, so John called Paul back and thanked him for his offer, but said we needed AC.
 
Today we only found 27 cents. Stay tuned ....

1 comment:

Lacy Sellars said...

Hello Dick and John!

I'm enjoying your reports from southern Oklahoma. Darlene's father used to buy all his cars in Waurika, but I've never been to the rattlesnake hunt. Thanks for the bulletin from First Presbyterian Ardmore. I've worshiped there myself when I was in that Presbytery.

I think I will mention your trip in my Maundy Thursday sermon, thinking about Jesus washing the feet of his disciples. I just have to think there is some correlation between this act of humility by our Lord on his last evening on earth and the walking we are asked to do on behalf of Christ's brothers and sisters.

Thanks for your act of humility and justice for our brothers and sisters in the faith.

Lacy